Saturday, November 7, 2009

My Two Most Memorable Practicum Experience


Biog 11: I did my short practicum at Langley Secondary School. The teachers were very friendly and helpful even if they were not my sponsor teachers. I had a chance to listen to various classes such as drama, home economy, etc. On class that I was especially impressed with was Biology 11. I thought it might be a boring class because students just needed to memorize a lot of stuff to do well. The class was talking about mitosis. After the initial introduction to the topic, the teacher told one interesting story after another in between the lecture. Some of them were related to the Pro-D day he just attended. He talked about the new biological discovery and researches at UBC. He also talked about H1N1 pandemic which was the hot topic. When he went to the sideway of the class, every student turned around. Clearly, everyone was interested. The class finished before I realized it.

Math 9: I taught one Math 9 lesson on polynomial addition and subtraction. As I observed the same class before, I notice that the young kids were very active and talkative. How can I use this high energy to my favour? I decided to use a game to gain students interest. The game was called “Guess your Secret Number”, which could be explained by polynomial addition. It asked each student wrote down a number that no one else knew. Then after a few calculations on the secret number, students would tell me their calculation result. By pondering over the result, I would guess what their secret numbers were. After the game started, the students actively participated. At one period of time, the classroom was so quiet because the students were all doing the calculation and trying to play the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment